Friday, June 15, 2018

What is your label?

When you define yourself, what labels do you use?
Image result for People labels

One of the most anxiety-ridden statements or questions is :
Tell me about yourself?
Panic comes up in droves. Why?
As a society we create labels; when we create labels it is so we can create stereotypes.
These words I know that I have used to define myself.
Wife, Mother, Geek, Friend, Daughter, Sister, Lesbian, Nerd, Social Justice Warrior.
I say "I'm sorry" or "sorry" about 1000 times a day.
I have ADHD, NF, Dyslexia,  PMDD, and other issues as well but those arent bad things.

I don't know how many times I have heard myself say.
I am fat.
I am ugly.
I am retarded.
I will never be good enough.

I have heard the whispers of things being said about me; queer, mean, fat, ugly bully, stupid, etc.

We have all heard the old adage "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never break  (hurt) me."

This old adage doesn't work for me. 
Why? 
Because words do hurt. 

Labels and stereotypes hurt. 

How do you label yourself? How do others label you? And how do you feel about them? 


No comments:

Post a Comment